The city of magnificent distances
|As the nation’s capital, Washington, DC is the center of the federal government with countless historic sites and monuments to explore free of cost. The National Mall is the hub for museums, memorials, and famous landmarks, including the Smithsonian museums and National Zoo. DC has a large young professional population, and there are always cultural festivals, concerts, and sporting events happening in the city.|
|Average rental cost for a 2-4 bedroom apartment ranges from $500-$700/month. AmeriCorps members typically live all over DC, Maryland, and Virginia suburbs located near the Metro.|
|AmeriCorps members receive a free SmarTrip Metro Card with a $200 each month to use on the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Bringing a car is not recommended because parking tends to be pricy, and all schools are Metro accessible.|
Useful Washington, DC Links
Fun Things to Do
- Enjoy this list of 100 cheap and free things to do in Washington, DC
- Find cool, free and low cost things to do throughout the city
- Go on a free walking tour of all of the historical landmarks around the capital
- Admire the full bloom during the Cherry Blossom Festival
- Visit one of the many DC museums during free museum days
- Take a bike ride to see the Potomac River in Great Falls Park
- Get your fresh veggies every Sunday at Dupont Circle’s FRESHFARM Market
Washington, DC on an AmeriCorps Member Budget by Senior AmeriCorps members, Ed Hunt, Libby McKenna, Mila Williams and Jennie Archer
- Discover DC Life and Culture on a budget!
- Get some advice on popular neighborhoods where AmeriCorps members often live!
- Need more information on childcare? Read here for more information on how to support your child while you serve.
- You are living on a modest budget. Check out more information on getting SNAP benefits here.
View City Sites
The class was so engaged in the literary terms jeopardy game today. #StudentEngagement #makebetterhappen
"I like City Year because they are always helping and they are all so nice and they respect everybody the same."-student #makebetterhappen
Seeing students sending support to their peers who are speaking in front of the class just made my day! #makebetterhappen @CityYear